Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Lamenting and Lingering

OVER-INTERACTING: Should I have a MySpace, Facebook, and Friendster account to go with my LinkedIn, Gmail, Yahoo!, and Yahoo! 360 accounts? I'll soon have a new spunkybean email account and spunkybean will be the 4th blog to which I post. Is all this interactivity a "good thing?"

VIEWING: Nothing. I'm bound and determined to start watching 30 Rock. Luckily, I've seen but 2 episodes and I will not lament the re-runs of this show. Other than that, I keep meaning to sit down and diagram my Tivo To-Do list for after the writer's strike.

READING: I'm not kidding when I say I've started 45 books this year and finished two. Two! This certainly says something about my psyche. Something bad. I'm sure of it. I think I'll get a book on psychology and figure it out. I swear I'm going to finish The Mother Tongue - but seeing as how I read a page and a half last night, my hopes are diminishing.

WISHING: For Christmas. Presents big and small. A wallet. Dress shirts. Wood glue. New brown dress shoes. A Nordstrom Rack gift card.

OK ...that last topic was rather cheap and uninspired and mostly for 1-person ...though I've heard of columnists and bloggers getting stuff from fans ...feel free to creep me out by sending me stuff off my wish-list.

WATCHING: My evenings have been relegated to PTI, Oprah, and sports. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I watch this stuff anyway. The problem is, this takes me all of 40 minutes plus the passive watching that goes with sports, and I'm really unfulfilled.

On non-strike nights, I would always have the previous night's The Daily Show and The Colbert Report that both made me laugh, forget the household chores I should be doing, and kept me up-t0-date on current events. I also had the previous night's episodes of Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Kimmel Live - both served the purpose of allowing me to oggle the current Hollywood starlets and introduce me to cool, new bands I might not now.

Now I feel I'm losing my grip. Will I have to Tivo Keith Olberman's Countdown? I hear Carson Daly's show is back. No. No. I couldn't possibly have sunk that low. Queen Bean over at spunkybean has some suggestions ...but knowing her, I think we're all just grasping at straws.

Granted, this is the typical December-January dead period. It's why we have 55 college football bowl games, I suppose. Ha! I exaggerate. There's only 32 bowl games. These games take us right through January 7th and then, typically, we have but a week or two until everything's "all new" and Idol begins.

I don't know if there's light at the end of this tunnel, friends. With each passing day, the news on the Writer's Strike worsens, up fronts are canceled, entire projects are shelved and may never be seen (note: as long as my show gets picked up, I'm cool), and I have more things to add to a list separated by commas.

CONCLUDING: My point is this ...I'm bored. And scared. And now it's 7:00am and I've finished my morning prose, so off I go to ready for the work day. 'Til Thursday, my bloggites.

No comments: