Monday, October 08, 2007

A Great Hair Day

Happy Monday! Why am I so happy? Well, for one, my hair is kickin'! I'm in a zone!!!

Second, I had a great weekend. Among the highlights were This is Tom Jones, Little Miss Sunshine, football and baseball in HD, Michigan State (everything 'cept for the actual football game), apple pickin', and Mad Men.

OFFSETTING: I learned a new term this weekend ...carbon offset. The concept is that you can justify any pollution you create by planting a tree or something. I have fungus growing between my toes. Does that count? Apparently many "environmentalists" justify their multiple, huge homes and SUVs with carbon offsets. Airlines have gotten in on the act and you can feel good about flying in a plane because you can purchase a small tree sapling to offset the thousands of gallons of jet fuel a single flight uses. Like say I own a Hummer, but I planted a shrub and a pine ...I'm all set, right? I'm no scientist, but I don't think that's going to cut it. I have a 12 gallon gas tank in my Saturn. I fill it up twice a week, meaning I burn 24 gallons of gas each week. My wife fills her Buick with 30 gallons a week. I'm guessing 3 or 4 two-foot pines don't quite account for my carbon output.

ADDICTING: A new blog I heard of from Pop Candy. It's highly addictive even if it's quite sad. PostSecret is a forum where people can send in HUGE secrets and this guy, Frank Warren, posts their secrets anonymously. I want to buy his book ...grrrrrr! I can't finish the two books I have - how can I justify another one?!?!?!?

CELEBRATING: October is National Popcorn Poppin' Month. That's pretty cool and a great reason to pop popcorn while watching everything you Tivo. But I implore you ...don't use the microwave!!! Use a pot, some popcorn kernels, some cooking oil, some butter, and salt. Old school poppin', baby! Popcorn should leave your fingers greasy and your pallet dry. I haven't had a bag of microwave popcorn in 4 or 5 years and I'm not looking back. Sometimes the best things in life take more than 2 or 2 1/2 minutes until pops are 3 or more seconds apart. Wanna really pop like a pro ...two words. Whirly Pop. Yes, an old school pot and lid will work, but this'll give your routine a li'l flair. Impress your friends and family, too.

WATCHED AND WATCHING: Ran out of time to today to blog my thoughts on all the great TV and movies ...I really wanna tell you about This is Tom Jones, but suffice it to say, buy it, rent it, or get it to the top of your Netflix queue asap! More to come.

BUSYING: Monday is always a whirlwind ...Chuck, Heroes, The Bachelor, and Monday Night Football, and now the MLB playoffs. And of course there's the kids and family that just take, take, take of my time and energy (that was sarcasm for the sarcasm averse). I also have to rip and destroy my bedroom closet, paint it, and make sure its ready for a closet organization system to be installed tomorrow.

Phew! A closet organization system?!?!?!?! I know. Riveting. When MTV's Cribs goes through my house, someday, you'll be totally impressed.

No comments: