Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'm Going to Be Lazy Today

DECAFFEINATING: First, I'm a caff-head (TM). Like a crack-head or a coke-head, but for caffeine ...and for chocoloate chip cookies. The cookies ain't a prob. But, the caffeine, I see, is a huge problem. Allow me to explain.

My wife's company recently introduced a caffeinated carbonated beverage to help with your metabolism. It compliments their weight loss shakes and chews and is intended to curb your appetite a bit and give you a li'l extra pep for yer workouts. My wife asked me to look up how much caffeine is in a Mountain Dew or a Coke. Thanks to the internet, I found it in a jiffy.

Her sports drink has about 50 milligrams of caffeine. And here's some caff levels of some other bevvies...
  • Coke 35 mg
  • Diet Coke 47 mg
  • Mountain Dew 54 mg
Moving onto the sports drinks...
  • Red Bull 76 mg
  • Enviga 100 mg
  • Full Throttle 144 mg
  • Monster Energy 160 mg
  • SoBe No Fear 174 mg
And now ...coffee. I am not proud to admit I drink, at least, 6 or 7 cups of coffee each day - probably more like 8 or 9 cups, actually. So here's where my personal intervention begins...
  • Home brew (I brew and drink 30 oz of coffee each morning) 400+ mg (I'm low-balling)
  • Caribou, 12oz 200 mg
  • Starbucks Grande (which I'm known to drink right after lunch and throw in a depth charge, which is a shot of espresso and can add 50-75 mg) 300+ mg
Starting immediately, I'm going to begin ordering everything half-caff-half-decaff. It's a start. It must be done. The Mayo Clinic's website told me so...
"If you're like most adults, caffeine is a part of your daily routine. But more than 500 to 600 milligrams of caffeine a day, or about four to seven cups of coffee, can cause restlessness, anxiety, headaches and other problems. Know how much caffeine is in your diet. You may be consuming more than you think."
Hmmmm. 500 to 600 milligrams a day. Interesting. Yes. Oh! Not good. I'm at about 1300 milligrams of caffeine each day. And I'm 5'5" and 165.

So, I'll begin in earnest to curb my caffeine intake ...but I'll never give up my McDonald's and my chocolate chip cookies. NEVER!!!

STEALING
: Someone forwarded me something and rather than forwarding onto everyone, I'm just linking it here. I'm always glad when I get things like this, none of the pictures are of my family. Cuz I'd hate if I got laughin' about a really good zinger at my expense.
List of the Day (click me)
Also, my local newspaper asked for a guest columnist to chime in each week on the contestants and the show. If ya know anyone ...

4 comments:

Myndi said...

That link was great--good luck in your quest to decaffinate...

KWass said...

Did you NOT read the list of people that piss me off that I posted a few days ago?

1/2 caff + 1/2 decaf = 1 beating.

My day has come.

KWass

P.S. You did link to my blog for that list, and I am grateful, so let me amend the equation.

1/2 caff + 1/2 decaf = your change being given to you in ass pennies

Krik said...

Somebody mentioned this in an "internet forward" (pre-blog stuff) and I am going to do this to my co-workers.

If you're like my office, we have a group of people that bring in coffee in turns. When you're turn comes up again, here's the plan:

What you do is buy a can of decaf coffee and empty the contents into a regular coffee can.

After two weeks of listening to people whine about heads hurting from the caffeine withdrawal. You switch back to regular coffee and watch 'em all run around like a bunch of hop-heads.

I have too much free time.

Don said...

A great idea, Krik. Unfortunately, we've got one of those coffee machines that brews a single-cup at a time. We have 7 varieties from which to choose. I usually opt for the Breakfast Blend in the morning and the Espresso Blend in the afternoon.