Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What Do You Do When You Have Nothing to Write?

I like to think the fact that I don't blog daily separates me from crazy people. Like it makes me the strong, silent type.

CUTTING: My hair. Today. Trim, style, and salon grade conditioning.

DIETING: Sucks. A sensible breakfast, lots of water, and some trail mix leads to one thing - craving a McDonald's double cheeseburger. It only costs $1.10. If I borrowed a quarter from 5 people, I wouldn't even have to spend my own money. But ...no ...must resist the urge. Must ...enjoy ...my banana and yogurt, have some more trail mix this afternoon, and survive on my energry-electrolyte drink, plus a Clif Bar right before my evening run (with my running club). I never got those wash board abs, but there's still time to complete Project Washboard. I won't eat dinner until after 8:30 p.m., and I think the plan is to have a baked potato with butter, sour cream, and steamed brocolli ...I hope I can resist the urge to hit Wendy's on the way home.

REDIRECTING: The summer is long. The original programming is growing scarce. But, luckily for Mad Men, I still have some weekly appointment viewing. If you aren't watching this show, you should be. If you are watching this show, you are my friend. If you aren't reading my recaps on spunkybean, you should be. If you are ...spread the word. I'm not sure why everyone else loves this show, but I love it in large part because of its setting in the advertising world, the world where I earn a living. It's spot on. Especially Roger Sterling's quote, which I featured in the article, but it bears repeating...
No regrets, fellas. We were in it. Tha't the important thing. Don't you love the chase? Sometimes it doesn't work out (shrugs shoulders). Those are the stakes. But when it does work out? It's like having that first cigarette. Head gets all dizzy. Your heart pounds. Knees go weak. Remember that? Old business is just old business.


I've been in sales and advertising for 12 years - this pretty much sums it up. I don't know if I should be proud or saddened by myself.

PREPARING: For running. Another Bump N Run is this coming Saturday. I'm looking forward to it. The fact that it comes after a business trip into Chicago for a Cubs game and a long night of dining and drinking, followed by a day of golf and "things-that-go-along-with-golf" and I won't be home until late, late the night before the run isn't making me overly optimistic. Mainly, if you see me ...give me some water. Jeff Watters promised that this will be the most difficult run of the season. Oh, joy. So, with that I'm even more proud of my sister, and now my brother and his wife (aka sister-in-law) who might also be running. And so might my cousin A.B. and his wife (aka cousin-in-law). To them I say ...catch me if you can. And watch out for my vomit. It'll be a rough ending to the week.

HUGGING: My son. I know Mad Men is not real and is scripted. But when you see a little dude like Bobby Draper portrayed on screen as nothing more than mischievous and curious, it makes you wonder if, at times, you might be overly parental or overly stern with your own son. Trust me ...these little-boy creatures ...they are work. Very different than little-girl creatures. Girls are made from sugar and spice, and all things nice. That's what little girls are made of. Boys are made of snips and snails, and puppy dog tails ...and probably some bull horns and cougar teeth, and the blade of a circular saw ...and battering ram. Snips and snails? Point being ...I need to become a little boy, myself. I gotta wrestle and fight with him. I've got to put sticks in a stream just to watch them float away and enjoy the chaos-theory in action. I need to break things with my son. And then fix them. We'll have to pull a prank on Mommy and his sisters. That's what we'll do. Cuz if he doesn't do those things with me, he'll find his own trouble on his own time with other people, right? But, this morning, for starters ...I started with a hug.

HIT & MISSING: The blog this week. As I've mentioned, I have a cool job ...sometimes. This week it's cool because my 'work' will take me to Chicago for a rooftop Cubs game and more, and then Friday to a company golf outing. Don't be sad for me. Just know you might not see daily wisdom from your favorite "Don" towards the latter part of the week.

Guard talk, tomorrow. As well as a classic journal entry.

No comments: