Thursday, March 13, 2008

I Shouldn't Be Laughing

I shouldn't be laughing, but I am. Last night South Park returned for its new season and Trey and Matt went back to the comedy well they never tire of drawing from - terminal diseases. The episode, "Tonsil Trouble", centers around Cartman getting HIV ...or, AIDs. The never sympathetic Cartman suddenly wants everyone to feel sorry for him ...but of course, Kyle only laughs at his misfortune.

The suddenly concerned Cartman decides to hold a fund raiser featuring Elton John, but Elton John doesn't show because AIDs is no longer the trendy disease to care about. That theme echos throughout the episode. In Elton's place, Jimmy Buffet performs and I laughed so hard I nearly got sick.



Trey and Matt actually raise a good point, as they often do. What ever happened to AIDs and efforts to cure it? In addition to this scene, the scene in Nigeria is also so wrong that laughing seems mean ...but I laughed anyway.

No comments: