Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Summer Slothing

When I'm not slothing on the couch and doing nothing, I'm planning and thinking about what's next. How I'm going to get to there. Without American Idol to entertain me and blind me to the apathy and laziness that consumes me, I'm forced to read and grow.

Watched "The Secret" again last night. Challenging stuff. Also started the 30day Anthony Robbins' "Personal Power" thingy, again this morning. Made a list, took some action - all that. Between the universe delivering me my dreams and me taking action, something will happen, believe me you.

If I died tomorrow will I have done everything as big and bold as I could have?

I probably blog too much.

So ...how does a person balance a sky-rocketing career (long hours, travel, stress) with real-life joys (kids, bedtime stories, playing outside)? Quite a duality, me thinks. Do I trade another "industry function", hob nobbing, glad handing, and business card exchanges for dinner at home, swimming with the kids, and singing "The Rainbow Connection" to my dozing kids at bedtime?

I often lament ...what would I want my tombstone or someone eulogizing me to say? "Don was the richest son-of-a-bitch I've ever known" or "Don was the perfect father."

Obvious answer. But still ...do you ever think about how some goals and actions simply must be done at the exclusion of another goal and action?

I still haven't bought those Docksiders.

1 comment:

Darrin Wassom said...

Life is short, my man..... life is short.... like you. I hear ya and used to lament about the same things. I don't have kids but I do have a life outside of my career. As I get older, I find myself wanting to focus on my career less and get back to living life as it was meant - happy and full of adventure.